Monday 7 October 2013

Greetings from Kenya: My Daily Life in Nairobi

Welcome to my blog! If you are wondering where I am wandering, this is the place for you!

Currently, I am in Nairobi, Kenya, where I am studying abroad through the Minnesota Studies in International Development program, aka: MSID. (If you are curious about this program/would like a better explanation of all that MSID has to offer students check it out here.)

The MSID crew stops at the Great Rift Valley view point for a picture
I arrived in Nairobi a little over a month ago, after a week long orientation (in other words: vacation) in Nakuru National Park. Nakuru National Park is located in Central Kenya, a few hours outside of the capitol, Nairobi, which I am calling home for the next few months. Nakuru is known for its beautiful lake filled with flamingos (although the number has significantly diminished in recent years), big game animals, and spectacular views.  While there, I got to know the other 10 people on the MSID program with me a bit better and take a nice technology break. Orientation also included an awesome game drive around Lake Nakuru and a visit to the equator.
View of Lake Nakuru as the day comes to a close.
Here I am at the equator!

Following our first few days relaxing in Nakuru, we were bused back to Nairobi to meet our host families. One of the reasons I chose to study abroad via MSID was the home stay experience. Whenever I travel, the best way to get to know a culture is, obviously, through the people who live there. I am living with the best possible family placement--they are truly wonderful and welcoming people!

My host mother's name is Jennifer, but I call her "mom" like the rest of the family. She is an incredibly strong woman who balances running the household and her job as a member of parliament in Kitui, where she travels to work during the week days.

I have two host brothers, Mwendwa and Mumo. Mumo is a lawyer, and Mwendwa works as a doctor out of town, so he is only here on weekends. I also have a host sister, Mumo's wife, Sheila. She and Mumo live down the street, but are over at our house all the time! I absolutely love Sheila. In the time that I have been here, she has been such a good friend to me. She even took me to pierce my ears, which is something which I had somehow managed to avoid for the past in the 21+ years of my life but really needed to change.
Here I am with Sheila, my host sister, after I removed my braids and had crazy hair!

Sheila and Mumo have a beautiful two year old daughter, Shanna. She used to be afraid of me (her favorite phrase was "ninaogopa Alissa" which translates to "I am afraid of Alissa") but I paved the way for white women everywhere, and now we have gotten to be friends. Like most two-year-olds, she's a constant source of entertainment.

I also have a host cousin, Rehema, who lives in Mombasa, but stays in Nairobi with her aunt so she can attend one of the local universities. We are the same age, so she has been great in introducing me to some of her Kenyan friends and accompanying me on a few adventures around the city.

Kenyans have a strong sense of community, so there are always plenty of visitors and fresh faces in my home as well!

My family lives in an area of Nairobi called Ngumo in a gated community. It is a mostly middle class, "Kenyan" neighborhood, with a somewhat quieter feel than downtown Nairobi. The Kenyatta Market is located right outside the estate where I live. It is an area that is constantly bustling with life: people selling products ranging from chickens and vegetables to children's toys and dresses. However, it is best known for being the ideal spot to get your hair done. 

The view inside of the estate where I live.
On the right: a small shop where I often buy bananas or minutes for my phone.

The MSID program has an 8-week classroom phase, followed by a 6 week long internship. I am currently in the middle of the classroom phase, so every morning I make the 20 minute walk to class. I am taking my classes at Nazarene University. Nazarene is also a church, so I arrive in the morning to the sound of people worshipping and singing.

Outside of Nazarene with some MSID home girls and our friend Caleb the security guard

I am taking classes in Advanced Swahili Language; Development, Country Analysis, which is an overview of Kenya), and Education & Literacy in Kenya. I attend my classes from 8:30 till 3:30 most days, unless we get out early or have a field trip, both of which are starting to happen with more frequency. Our teachers are pretty chill about when classes actually begin. Things run on "Kenyan time," which is always a good 5-15 minutes later than the set time. Who knew that I had been running on Kenyan time my whole life?

Tea time--or chai time--is a big part of the culture here as well, and not just exclusively in the home. Our studies are interrupted at 10:30 sharp (by Kenyan standards) with tea and biscuits. Kenyan chai is best served warm, milky, with tons of sugar. I am such an addict!

There is a canteen on the Nazarene grounds, which has a limited (but inexpensive) menu. Most days, unless we are feeling adventurous or have extra time, we eat our lunches there. Sometimes I walk around the corner to buy some fresh fruit (usually a mixed fruit tray of avocado, papaya, watermelon, beet root, and pineapple) from a fruit stand there. In fact, I visit the fruit stand so often that the owner has come to expect my arrival. It's always fresh and delicious!

If I want to travel anywhere outside of Ngumo (e.g. downtown) I have to go by bus or matatu. Matatus are privately owned minibuses. They are a very common mode of transportation around Kenya. They are super cheap--although they often try and trick foreigners into paying way more than the actual cost-and run all over the city. The public transportation system here is daunting, so I hesitated to travel around this way at first. Also, can I just say that Kenyans give the most confusing directions?! In certain contexts, I travel by taxi. My friends and I all use the same driver, Joseph. He's a lot of fun and definitely loves foreigners. His taxi is always tuned into the Top 40, and his favorite phrase is "Welcome to the music!"

Of course my time here has been challenging, but it has also been a rewarding and beautiful experience! I will be updating soon on my things to see and do in Nairobi and my trip to Masai Mara.

Bisous,
Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment